The purpose of membership of Brighton and Hove Community Land Trust (BHCLT) is to support and guide the work of the CLT. Application for membership is open to anyone living or working in the Brighton and Hove area who supports our aims. We are committed to creating a CLT that responds to a broad membership.
This is not a housing co-operative, we don’t have any housing to offer, and membership implies no preferential access to any potential new housing developments.
BHCLT was set up in 2016 to put housing development and land back in the hands of people who need it. Our vision is of a city better designed to meet local housing and community needs by engaging the communities themselves in their development.
BHCLT is one of over two hundred Community Land Trusts in England and Wales, so we are in good company. CLTs are non-profit, community-based organisations owned and run by their members to address the needs of their local area. This short video explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujaSjnFSHTY
We have three types of membership:
1) Residents in our housing (not applicable just now as we do not yet have housing)
2) Community members (anyone living or working in the Brighton and Hove area)
3) Stakeholders (organisations and individuals who wish to contribute to our work).
As well as your individual community membership, please consider your organisation becoming a stakeholder member.
To become a member, all you need to do is:
• Complete and submit an application form (see below)
• Pay £1 to have a share and vote in BHCLT once your application is accepted.
You can then participate in our general meetings, which will take place at least three times a year. Members can also stand for election to the BHCLT board of directors. Dates of meeting will be posted on the website and emailed to members.